- AspectWerkz is now an extensible aspect container. AspectJ excels at providing a language-level support for AOP concepts and AspectWerkz excels at its integration with application servers. It seems that one can now write aspects in AspectJ and deploy using AspectWerkz’s deployment technology.
- AspectWerkz’s AOP support is now more closely aligned to that implemented in AspectJ:
- variations of the after() advice
- percflow() aspect association
- this(), target(), and args() pointcuts to capture join point context
The AspectWerkz team plans to address some of the remaining differences from AspectJ (cflow(), cflowbelow() etc.) in a future version. It seems like AspectJ and AspectWerkz will become nearly isomorphic — you can write program in AspectJ or AspectWerkz and translate between them without much loss of information.
Of course, there are many AspectWerkz-specific improvements such as 20x improvement in performance and hot deployment/redeployment that got to make it more useful as an enterprise AOP solution.
This is exciting! Congratulation to the AspectWerkz team.